Now You're Talking My Language!

What Are These?

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Get your tissues for this one :-(

So here's where the rollercoaster ride begins.... I came back from harvest expecting to have a procedure with the doctor that would ensure me being at 100% upon returning to my assignment.  Easy peasy right?  Nope!  There was a different doctor in that day and she told me about a bunch of possible complications that the first doctor never mentioned and strongly recommended I not have the procedure. While I was greatful for the second opinion just in the nick of time, I wasn't sure of my next step.  She gave me a few other options that she could do the same day.  But, I was very hesitant since I hadn't had a chance to research them.  My flight was set to leave in a week so I couldn't reschedule.  I sat down in the lobby with a pamphlet with information and tried to search the internet quickly on my phone.  I prayed fervently to Jehovah for help.  What I found was tons of horrible reviews and horror stories.  The office was about to close so the doctor came to ask my decision and to make sure I was ok as I was clearly distraught.  Jehovah had me ask the right questions and sure enough, there was a detail left out of my chart.  Upon learning this, she told me I would have been a far, far worse off had I accepted the alternatives she had recommended!  Twice I had barely dodged the bullet thanks to Jehovah.  While I was relieved at that, a new question arose:  Would I be able to maintain my health in my assignment?

Here in the States, I'm able to maintain my health just fine with diet, supplements and other natural things.  Unfortunately, some of these simple items (like leafy greens for example) are not readily available where I serve.  I had an excrutiating week of decisions and being honost with myself.  How long could I stay in my assignment before needing to return to build my health up again?  Could I do better in a less physically demanding assignment there?  Am I lacking faith? Modesty?  What is the best decision for keeping me in the full time ministry long term?  What about my students and congregation!??  All of these questions and many more continued to plauge me on a daily basis.  Friends and family would excitedly ask me, "So, when are you headed back to your assignment?!" not realizing the complexity and emotion behind such a simple question.  After much prayer and honost self reflection, I've decided to stay in the States for now.  Trust me....not an easy decision at all.  Since I already had my ticket though, I decided to go ahead and fly back for a few weeks to attend the district convention and say my goodbyes in person.  I asked friends in the local congregations here if they had any items they would like to donate to the friends in my congregation.  What an outpouring!  I ended up with 200 pounds of clothes, shoes, service items and more!  I was excited to have such a gift of mercy to share.  I arrived at the airport a little bit late so I was told I would have to fly out the next evening.  No big deal.  The next day I arrived again with my huge bags of gifts.  This time, no problems.  As I waited to board, I noticed that I still had not been assigned a seat (I was flying standby).  I asked at the front desk and found out that there were 3 people signed up for standby and only 2 seats available-uh oh.   I patiently waited to see if there would be any no shows.  Sure enough there were several.  BUT right when I could see the light at the end of the tunnel, a cloud of people rushed to the gate just in the knick of time to claim their seats.  I was informed that the flight was officially full.  Before leaving the airport, I inquired when I would have a chance at flying out.  Apparently, the one flight per day is overbooked through the holiday season.  But guess what?  That's not the worst part!  Both nights, my elder had piled half the congregation in the truck and driven 3 hours each way to the airport to welcome me back!  As soon as I knew I wasn't going to make the flight AGAIN I immediately tried to reach him but I was too late.  They were already waiting for me AGAIN.  As I apologized and tried to explain to the brother, he wasn't even mad, just hurt.  He kept saying, "hija ,hija" (daughter) we will come tomorrow then...ok, the weekend? Next week??  When are you coming to us?  All could do is apologize and say I don't know.  I'm still tearful to even have to write it.  I hope to make use of the ticket early next year to visit.
So, here I am for now, in the States.  Back to the search for a job, apartment and new congregation.  I was able to find a good car which inturn has been helpful in field service and the job hunt.  I haven't been sure about Spanish or English, my old hall or my parents'.  But today, I will officially let the brothers in my parents hall know that I plan to have my cards sent to them.  A very difficult and "permanent" feeling although I know I need to get grounded and spiritually busy here as soon as possible to help with the transition.  Friends and family have been great and I'm sure I'll have lots of good news and funny stories for you soon but for now it's just hour by hour and day by day.
Headed to the meeting-chin up!

8 comments:

  1. Dear Kim - we are so sorry to hear about your change in plans. We know exactly how you feel since we too have had to make the decision to return home permanently. We know that Jehovah will take you by the hand - just as he has promised to do in Isa 41:10 "Do not be afraid, for I am with you. Do not gaze about, for I am your God. I will fortify you. I will really help you. I will really keep fast hold of you with my right hand of righteousness."
    Lots of love goes out to you from us - Pat and Debbie Polden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no!!!! I am so so so sorry to hear that :-( This seems to be a year of transition for ALOT of need greaters. I know the friends in Lagoon will miss you tons. Be sure to keep in contact with me and let me know how you settle back in. I'm so glad that we had a chance to meet!!! Love you lots. (That's my favorite scripture by the way :-) )

      Delete
  2. Poor baby! So glad you have a picture here of your beautiful smile. You have a good heart and even though it was tough being modest is all we can do in this life. Let Jehovah show you where you can be of help again in the future. It's not over for you, just a temporary setback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girly! I know you will continue to hold it down in Nica. I hope to get back for a visit before June so we will definitely have to get together. I look forward to more entries on your blog so I can know what's going on back home :-)

      Delete
  3. I am late in reading this. Thanks so much for the update. I know you are very disappointed, but you gave your best to Jehovah, so hopefully there are no regrets there. Now starts a new chapter in your life, and there is always School for Kingdom Evangelizers.(Love the hair!) (jenni)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, a new chapter indeed! And it's true I have no regrets at all! I have so much more family now! Thanks for the compliment on the "interview hair" lol ;-)

      Delete
  4. Hello! I am sorry to hear that you won't be going back to your assignment as planned! I hope you can get settled and into a new routine again quickly. You'll be in my prayers that your health issues get resolved and that no matter what you are able to keep marching forward. :)

    I'm sure your stories of adventures will be so uplifting to the friends and family where you will be. Any families (especially with younger kids) will benefit so much from your example!

    Take care,

    Tricia R
    Wisconsin
    triciarzky@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tricia,

      Thanks for your words of encouragement. I definitely plan to nestle myself right into the middle of my new congregation and stay good and busy. Things are going well so far. I too am encouraged by being able to relate the experiences of the friends abroud so it is truely an interchange of encouragement when others ask me about the experience. Thanks for reaching out to say hi :-)

      Delete